Search This Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Never thought about cooking quite that way.

So, I was flipping through a magazine with a cooking show on- Barefoot Contessa to be exact. Not a show I watch really! REALLY! But, she happened to be speaking to two things which I believe we should discuss.


  1. Order food boxes from your local farmers! You'll be helping your local economy, supporting a family-run business, and get the freshest produce you have ever had (other than growing your own). We used to get one every other week, because it was so fresh it wouldn't go bad in a week, or even two most of the time. Not only all those great things, and the parts about improving your health by eating fresh, but you can experiment with new veg that you've never heard of such as kohlrabi, broccoli rabe, rainbow chard, Japanese eggplant (oooh, love these!), celeriac... you get the drift! And, they usually provide recipes for you! How cool is that????
  2. Most people start with a recipe, and then go get everything they need. Peeps, I really never thought about it that way... I suppose there was a time, and still is from time to time that I go to the store with a specific recipe in mind and purchase the ingredients I need to fix something specific. But that's not the norm for me! Instead, I generally open the fridge/freezer, and take stock of what proteins and veggies I have. Then, I decide what I want to eat, what flavor I want it to have, and interchange ingredients from time to time when I don't have the exact ones I need. THAT, my peeps, is why I think it's so important to keep a wide variety of ingredients in the house ESPECIALLY if they can pull more than just double-duty! Cumin is great in Tex-Mex, South of the Boarder, as well as eastern Indian foods. Ginger is great cooked, or raw in a citrus-based salad dressing! Same with cilantro, coriander (cilantro seed), celery seed (well, coleslaw, potato salad, and Indian foods), vinegar of varieties, and you get the drift. It's when you start to see an ingredient on your shelf that you seldom use (or use too often) in a different light that you can truly expand your palette and create something new. THAT is what I try to do nearly every night. Doesn't always work, but I am learning along the way... and what really works I'll share with you, OK?! Sounds like a good plan, right? 
Peace, my peeps! 

No comments:

Post a Comment