Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

Channeling my inner Paula Dean...

So, I have spent my afternoon today channeling my inner Paula Dean, yawwwl... I made ginger cookies, and barbeekew sawwzz... and reeeeebz... Since I was making homemade bbq sauce, I figured I'd share. Now, this is a bit sweet, but it's got bite too! Go easy... (P.S.~ I had originally forgot the chipotle... so I've added it here, 10/30/10.)

Mr. Badabing's BBQ Sawssss

Makes about 4 cups, leaving some to freeze for next time!!! Whoooo hoooooo!!!

1/2          Onion, minced
1 stalk     Celery, minced
2 T          Garlic, minced (about 3 cloves, maybe 4)
4             Piquillo peppers, chopped (you can find these in the frozen food section; they're smokey, red peppers)
2 T          Canola oil

3/4 C       Ketchup
1/2 C       Brown sugar, packed
1/2 C       Molasses
2 C          Water
1/2 C       Red wine vinegar
1/8 C       Worstershire sauce
1 C          Dr. Pepper (or root beer, or Pepsi)
2 T          Montreal steak seasoning
1 t           Hickory or smoked salt
2 t           Cumin
Pinch       Thyme
Pinch       Ground sage
1 T          hot sauce (Tabasco)
Pinch       Cayenne (go easy!)
1/2          Ice Cube Chipotle
Ok, remember, I buy a can of Chipotle in adobo sauce, use what I need and freeze the rest. A little goes a long way, so it doesn't take much here. I'd suggest using HALF of an ice cube first, and seeing if after 10 minutes of simmering if you've got the smokey-ness and heat you want. You can always add heat, but you can't take it out.


One more thing here~ if you like sweet ribs and chicken, and are putting a sweet rub on your meets (sweeeeeeeet, like with brown sugar!), then you can jack up the heat on the sauce a bit, because you'll have a great balance in the end. 


One last thing, I promise!!! Maybe... Ok, this would be great over burritos... mmmmmmmmmm...

Ok, this is simple!

  1. Add oil to a hot stock pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. When it's shimmering, add the onions and celery. Stir for about a minute, and then just continue to cook for 3 minutes.
  2. Turn heat down to medium. Add garlic, stir, and cook for about 4 minutes.
  3. Add peppers, and stir. Cook a minute or two.
  4. Add brown sugar, and dissolve. Add all the liquids and spices, stir to combine.
  5. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.
  6. Get out the immersion blender, and blend everything as smooth as you want it. Cook for about an hour... tasting along the way.
How easy was that???

No comments:

Post a Comment